Sunday, November 7, 2010

Transfer Day #1

Hello everyone,

So, today is transfers...and drum roll please.........I'm staying and Elder Coulston is staying as well.  However, Elder Romero left and we found out this morning that he got transferred to Windover which is in Nevada (?) or very close at least. Oh, and Elder Coulston was released as District Leader and we will be receiving a new companion straight out of the MTC. So Elder Coulston will be a trainer. I haven't met our new companion yet, he is currently with Elder Coulston and I am on exchanges with another Visa Waiter while Elder Coulston and the new missionary do meetings and orientations and what not at the mission office.

So this is how transfers all worked out this week:  on Sunday night President and Sister Winn call leaders if they are getting released...so that's when we found out that Elder Coulston would be released.  On Tuesday morning, the zone leaders called and let people know who is going and who is staying, only to let the people leaving know that they need to pack their bags, they don't tell where they are going or who their companions are or anything like that. Then, this morning we went to the transfer building along with all the other missionaries. We all stand in the parking lot and on the count of 3 all the zone leaders for the different areas hold up posters that say which missionaries are in which zone. So, I was still in Cannon along with Elder Coulston and our new missionary. So that's how transfers all work out. Also, since Elder Coulston is not the district leader anymore, we don't get the car anymore, so we will be on foot. But it's really not that bad when you consider we cover 3 wards, or only half of a stake...in Utah. So it really is a pretty small area.

Hmm....let's see, this week we have continued to work with Felix and Sandra, who will be getting baptized this coming transfer. Not a whole lot to report there. We also meet with Carlos and Marisela about once a week just to make sure that they are still doing alright. And, wow, are they solid. They asked for Book of Mormons from us so that they could give some to their friends. We gladly gave them 3. Also, Carlos went and got a suit and showed up at church on Sunday in a suit, white shirt and tie. He was looking good. Another really amazing thing that happened is something that he told us while we were teaching him the other day. He told us (Elder Coulston explained this to me afterwards since I didn't really understand what he was talking about) that if his life flashes before his eyes before he dies like a lot of people say it does, he told us that we would definitely be a big part of his life and we would be in that flashback for him. They are so strong and I am so excited for them to work towards that day when they can be sealed together in the temple for eternity. I wish I could come back to Salt Lake for their sealing in a year, but that will probably be a bit outside of my mission in Mexico City (speaking of which, still no news on the Visa).

We also have been working with 2 very promising investigators. Carlos and his non-active member girlfriend Roxanna is very receptive and attended church on Sunday. He is very open and willing to learn, and you can tell he wants to be closer to God. We had a family night with them last night and it went great. We had it at a members home and we learned about the Gospel of Jesus Christ with a very interactive lesson, it was great. We are also working with a woman named Mary de la Paz which i think I mentioned last week. She also attended church on Sunday and continues to work towards her date on the 13th. We also set our goal this week for the month of November...5 baptisms. So we will continue to do all we can and with the Lord's help I know we can accomplish that goal.

Ok, so Halloween was on Sunday/Saturday here in Utah. On Saturday we weren't allowed to go out just because everyone would be trick or treating and it would not be very effective. So, we went to the mission home and had dinner around 5. President Winn was BBQing up some hot dogs and hamburgers and we had a fun time hanging out with some other missionaries. After dinner, our zone and I think one or two other zones went and did a 7:00 session at the temple, which was great as always. I love going to the temple, its so peaceful.

Hmm, other than that it was a pretty normal, standard week, not entirely sure what else to talk about. The weather has gotten warmer and it's been around 60 all week, but I'm expecting it to start getting colder pretty quickly here....OH and I almost forgot I received some new name tags this week.  Two of them say on them "Elder Pavo Real" AKA my name is Spanish, which I think is very cool. Haha you will be seeing pictures next week (Sorry, I don't have my camera with me today.).

So yeah, I will just close with my testimony that I know this church is true. Esta obra es la obra de Dios. Nuestro Padre Celestial nos ama y El ha restaurado su iglesia en el mundo hoy por medio Jose Smith. Tenemos evidencia de la restauracion porque tenemos El Libro de Mormon. Yo se que esta iglesia es verdadera y Tomas S Monson es el profeta viviente por medio el Libro de Mormon. Lo he leido y yo puedo testificarles que es la palabra de Dios. He recibido un respuesta por medio el Espiritu Santo.

Translation : This work is the work of God. Our Heavenly Father loves us and he has restored his church in the world today through Joseph Smith. We have evidence of the restoration because we have the Book of Mormon. I know that this church is true and Thomas S Monson is the living prophet through the book of mormon. I have read it and I can testify to you that it is the word of God. I have recieved an answer through the Holy Ghost (see Moroni 10 :3-5, last two paragraphs of Intro to the BOM).

I know that everyone can know these things are true by reading the Book of Mormon and asking God through prayer if it is true. That's all we do as missionaries is show people how they can find out for themselves, it's up to them to do it.

I love you all and I miss you, but I love being a missionary and there is nowhere else I would rather be.

Have a great week.
And this is my joy (Alma 29:9)
Elder Peacock

No comments:

Post a Comment