Thursday, November 18, 2010

I Found a new best friend...and his name is David Burbidge

Hello Everyone,

I will explain the headline later.

Thank you for the emails with all the updates. It sounds like this was quite the eventful week. Congratulations to Bishop Aina and Thank you Bishop Williams for everything you have done for me. Sorry to hear that Valencia won, but good to hear that both Tyler and Bryce's seasons are still alive. Also thanks for the pictures, always great to see pictures. The scar does look a lot better now Dad, Mom's not just being nice. Also, excited to see the newspaper...Congrats Tyler. 

Ok, so this week has been pretty solid. The last couple of weeks have been fairly slow due to the fact that we had to drop a lot of our investigators because, frankly, they were not interested in doing anything. So we were looking for a lot of new people to teach. You could say we were in  the process of rebuilding our teaching pool. This week we have started to solidify some of those new investigators.

First off Jesus and Jessica who are the younger siblings of Roxanna who we have been teaching. We put them on date for the 27th of this month and they both accepted. The rest of their family are inactive members and we are hoping to get their whole family reactivated and re-excited about the Church. We had a family home evening with them last night and it went great. We taught them about the Holy Ghost and they are really a great family.

We have a few more investigators that we are hoping to put on date and have a lot of potential as well so I will be sure to keep you up to date on that.

IMG_1032

Last Friday we got to go to a pretty cool thing down at the Conference Center theater. They had a play kind of musical thing going on called Salvador del  Mundo...or Savior of the World. It was a completely Spanish production about the birth and resurrection of Christ. It was really well done and I'm sure I would of thought it was even better if I could of understood what they were saying. But we took one of our investigators to it, Nicole, and also her sister Aurora who is a member recently baptized.  I enjoyed it.

Hymnbook So you're not going to believe this when I tell you but....The three of us sang in Sacrament on Sunday. Yeah I know doesn't sound like something I would ever do. It definitely wasn't my idea ahha. It was Elder Coulston's. We didn’t sound too bad though haha. We sang “Senior Yo Te Seguire”...which would be “Lord I Would Follow Thee”.  [Justin is NOT a singer, despite my (and Maran Zyhailo’s) best efforts to make it so, or to even have him hum during Family Home Evening.  Thus, this is a REAL surprise!  I told him he’ll have no excuse now when he comes home!]

So, as for the weather, it has been getting cold. And since we are walking now it gets REALLY cold and windy at night. I was about ready to go down to Mr Mac and get a jacket and then return it or something. However, Elderseinfeld_puffy_coat Burbidge (one of the senior service missionaries in the ward) decided he would just lend me his jacket right off his back. So that's what he did, so now I will be using his jacket until my Visa comes (still no word). And he gave me two rules...don't ruin it and write your mom this week and tell her that you found a new best friend...David Burbidge....hence the headline. 

Hmmm, lets see what else happened this week. Well, we met with Carlos and  Marisela and they are solid as ever. They are going to the temple to do baptisms for the dead this weekend! haha how sweet is that? They are in love with the Church and they could not be any happier in their lives than they are right now.
Well, I think that's about it for now. I'm having a great time here in Salt Lake and I am being taken care of, especially by my new best friend. As for Thanksgiving, we don’t have any for sure plans yet, but we will most likely be invited somewhere to eat. By the way, that will be our P-day so the email will come on Thursday next week instead of Wednesday.

I will just leave you with my testimony, I know that this Church is true. And I have a testimony that anyone who has a desire to know just has to ask God (James 1:5). If you pray with faith, and really want an answer and have that real intent to act on the answer, you'll get it. Without a doubt. We have yet to come across someone who prayed with real intent and has not gotten an answer. As missionaries, we can be the greatest teachers and have all kinds of cool books and pamphlets and scriptures to convince them that it is true, but the only way anyone can know is by finding out for themselves. The only way to do that is through prayer. I can testify that God wants to hear from us and He wants to help us find the right path. He is always willing to do his part, we just have to do our part and say that prayer with faith. Moroni 10:3-5 in the Book of Mormon lays out all the things we need to do in order to know the truth of all things:

3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how amerciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and bponder it in your chearts.

  4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would aask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not btrue; and if ye shall ask with a csincere heart, with dreal intent, having efaith in Christ, he will fmanifest the gtruth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

  5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may aknow the btruth of all things.

If you follow those things, you will get the answer to your prayers, I can promise you that. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

I love being a missionary, and this is my joy.

Miss and love you all, till Thanksgiving,
Elder Peacock

No comments:

Post a Comment