Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sorry for the Late Email…BUT I Had a Kid Over the Weekend!!

Hey everyone.

So I know what you are all wondering...why am I emailing on a Wednesday and not on Monday? Well on Saturday, we got word on the changes, and I got the news that I would be training a new missionary. I also will be staying in the same area - Metepec. Everyone else in the area left. Elder Salazar left to Los Torres, Elder Molina goes home to Peru today (along with my first comp here in Mexico Elder Berezay) and Elder Decker is the new AP. So, that was the news on the changes. IMG_0155

On Monday I went over to the office in DF to pick up my kid [note that the “kid” is older than Justin!]. I got there around 11 and all us trainers (3 others from my MTC district are training as well) and all the missionaries that are going home hung out for a little. At about 1 we went over to the chapel next to the office, and ate some Costco pizza and then President Villarreal announced the companionships. My new companion´s name is....Elder Diaz. He is from Peru (right around Lima) and he is great (more on him later). Then, Prez gave us a little training, which is great as usual. He talked about the importance of being obedient, the importance of working with all of your heart might mind and strength, and about having a desire to do the work. We then all read 2 Nephi 31 and 3 Nephi 11 together and he talked about our purpose as missionaries...which is inviting others to come unto Christ through living the Gospel of Jesus Christ which is beautifully explained in these 2 chapters. We closed the meetings and had some Costco muffins, and then we were off to our areas. 2 and a half hours later we made it back to our area and settled in for the night. 

IMG_0151

Yesterday was my first full day as trainer with Elder Diaz, and it was his first full day working in Mexico. It was great. I learned a lot about him and I have already gained a lot of love and respect for him. He´s 20 years old and from Peru. He doesn´t speak any English (which is great, my Spanish is going to improve leaps and bounds this transfer). He is the ONLY member from his family. His parents aren’t members and don’t even really agree with him being on a mission. He talked with missionaries and was baptized 2 years ago, and set a goal to serve a mission. He worked to earn the money so that he could serve for these next two years. Just from that alone, you can see that he is a man with a lot of faith, and that he has the desire to be here. He shared with an investigator in a lesson last night that he knows that if he serves with all his heart for 2 years that the Lord will bring his family into the church, and that they will be able to be an eternal family. Seeing his situation and thinking about what he must be going through, truly humbled me and made me eternally grateful for all the blessings that I have in my life. I am so grateful that I have a family back at home that loves and supports me and that we will all live with Heavenly Father together again someday. I think sometimes I take that for granted...but now I can´t. It´s thanks to this gospel that I am so blessed in my life and I thank my Heavenly Father every day for it. 

IMG_0165Yesterday, it was so great working with my new comp. We seriously did work. 5 lessons and we put one person on date for this weekend. And we didn’t even work until 1 because we had a meeting in the morning. It was like night and day compared to last transfer...and I know its because of the desire and obedience that Elder Diaz has.  It was fun seeing him experience Mexico for the first time like I did a couple months ago. He ate Mexican bread for the first time and I bought him some tacos in the street when we were headed home. He loved it. Also I found it funny that I had to explain to him some of the different slang phrases and words they use here in Mexico. Apparently they don’t say the same stuff in Peru....So I had to teach him Mexican Spanish hahaha. Also here people are always walking down the street yelling GAS or BASURA (trash) which really confused him (you really cant tell what they are yelling the first time you hear them, I remember it confused me too). So that was funny too.

Well, That is pretty much what’s going on here in Mexico right now. I did in fact get your package Mom [YAY!] ...thank you =). So whatever you did worked. I have a couple of requests for my next package/ Birthday. Spare blade cartridges for my Gillete fusion razor (they don’t sell them here). Stamps of course (unless I get the ones with Mitchel’s letter) and.....a Jimmer Fredette jersey. I remembered March Madness is starting soon and I thought I should get a Jimmer Fredette jersey since I can’t watch I´ll at least support in spirit. haha. I would like the white home jersey, Large, and the authentic Nike one. That is all I can think of for my Bday for now [ya, like I’m gonna risk sending THAT in the mail!]. But I´ll keep you updated. 

I love you all and I love the work.

I miss you, but I wouldn’t rather be anywhere else than here.

And this is my joy (Alma 29:9)

Elder Peacock

PS.  Don’t see much difference in the hair, maybe a little shorter on the sides compared to the top?  Not sure I can place the Apostle he’s modeling…But doesn’t his face look tan?

PPS. he also sent pictures of his shoes for replacement under their guarantee…not even 8 months of wear!

IMG_0157IMG_0158

No comments:

Post a Comment