Friday, September 24, 2010

Here We Go!

Hola mi familia!!

It's P-Day here in Salt Lake City. However, usually the P-Days are on Wednesday, so expect emails on Wednesday weekly. I got on the bus at 7:45 this morning, and they took us to the mission home in Salt Lake. There are about 20 other Elders who were reassigned while waiting for their Visas from Mexico. When we arrived, we met our Mission President, President Winn. He's very cool and he challenged us to work hard. We had a testimony meeting, and then President Winn and his assistants chose the companionships off of our testimonies!! Then we went outside to the parking lot where all of our new companions were waiting. I am in a three Elder companionship, with Elder Caulson (from Washington, been out 16 months) and Elder Romero (from Mexico City!!). They both are really great Elders and I can't wait to get to know them better and learn from them. I would tell you more about them and more about the area we are in , but I've been here for only a few hours, so I don't really know much yet haha.

Here are some things about the Salt Lake Mission in general that I have learned. The borders of the mission go from Nevada to Wyoming, but most of the Elders are in Salt Lake City because that's where all the people are. Also, I will be teaching in Spanish.  There is a lot of English around, but I will only be teaching in Spanish and working in Spanish branches. Also, we WILL get to go to the Temple and General Conference for sure so I am definitely stoked about that. And Salt Lake baptizes A LOT, so I should be doing a lot of teaching which is AWESOME. I get fed pretty much every night as well.  Oh also, here is my address for mail and stuff:

Elder Justin Peacock
3487 South 1300 East
Salt Lake City, UT
84106

After I met my new companions, we grabbed my stuff and jumped in the car. That's right, we have a car. It's a Mazda. We drove to our house. We live in a member's home (can't remember his name). We live in the basement, which has a bedroom, a couple desks, a few tables and a couch. My closet is in the food storage, and we had to remodel in order to use it as a closet. Not the nicest place I have ever seen, but it doesn't matter to me, I'm a missionary and won't spend much time in the house anyway.

After I dropped my stuff off, we went shopping at WalMart for food and other things we need for the week. Then we stopped by and got free Tongan food at this restaurant because I guess missionaries eat for free there!! It was really good, never had Tongan food before, but I liked it. And now we are in a little internet cafe place, full of Elders, everyone emailing their families. After this we're going to go play basketball at the Stake Center for P-Day.

Hmm...what else, I'm not sure what else to say, it's crazy that I'm out in the field now and I will be teaching real people now, not "investigators." I'm nervous, but super excited at the same time. President Winn said we would be teaching TONIGHT, so I will probably be a part of my first discussion tonight...crazy.
Well, I'm just going to bear my testimony in English, for the sake of time. I know that this church is true. I know it with all of my heart. It is the same church that Jesus Christ himself set up while he was on the Earth. And we have a prophet in Thomas S. Monson, who leads and guides our church just like the prophets of old do throughout the scriptures. I'm so excited to be out here in Salt Lake City serving the Lord. I have no doubt that this is where I am supposed to be right now and I cannot wait to start bringing people unto Christ, because "this is my joy" (Alma 29:9).  It is my joy to bring the Gospel into people's lives, the same Gospel that has brought me countless blessings and happiness in my life. This Gospel is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. And I know it's true. I say that In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

I will have a lot more to write about next week I'm sure, but for now, this is about all I have to talk about. However, judging from the last 4 hours or so, I'm going to love it here. No Doubt About It.

Les Amo muchisimo (I love you guys a lot),
Elder Peacock

No comments:

Post a Comment